Sunday, March 4, 2007

The Will of God

God has a Permissive Will and a Perfect Will.

The Perfect will of God is that everyone does His will. The Permissive Will of God is that He permits men, such as Adam and Eve, to do their own will, even if it was to reject Him, and experience God's wrath and judgment, such as in the Garden of Eden.

God's Perfect Will is that Israel be gathered together like a hen gathers its chicks. But God's Permissive Will was to allow them to reject Him.

Jesus stated: "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling." (Matthew 23:27)

What could be a better statement of God's Perfect Will and His Permissive Will?

1 comment:

Turretinfan said...

I have a little different take on Matthew 23:27. I think that, in context, "Jerusalem, Jerusalem" and "ye would not" refers to the Pharisees (the leaders of Israel) and "thy children" refers to a different group: the people of Israel. I have a more detailed explanation on my blog.

I'd be delighted by your review and comments (even comments that dispute what I have to say).

Nevertheless, God does have a secret (permissive) will (Providence) and decretive (perfect) will (the Law).

And may I say "Bingo" on your addressing the two major works of God (Creation and Providence) in your first two posts.

Keep up the good work!

May God's blessing rest on you,

-Turretinfan